Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Day After...

You never know how things are going turn out until they actually happen. Well, yesterday turned out almost exactly as I thought.

The service for Shindig was amazing. The place was packed over capacity with people spilling out into the foyer and out the front door. I can only hope that I have as many people that I have impacted through my life when I die.

We had a good reception at the DZ following the service. I got to talk to Rick’s dad for an hour or so. It was nice to finally meet him. I wish there was more I could do for Set and the rest of the family.

At sunset, we took to the sky in the two Otters. Over 40 people jumped into the setting sun to say their final goodbye to Rick and release his ashes into the sky. Set, Shindig’s wife, even went along on a tandem jump! There must have been a lot of love between them to do that.

The stream of ashes spilled into the air. It seemed like they were jumping out of the bag and had a life of themselves. Like Rick couldn’t wait to get back to the sky. As I turned and tracked away from the formation, it hit me. Rick is gone.

Once we landed, everyone was a bundle of emotion. Even the Marines that were waiting on the ground couldn’t hold back a tear or two.

Shindig definitely touched many people in his short 39 years. He will be missed by many.

Goodbye Rick...Blue Skies!

No comments: