Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Second Presidential Debate

I've always looked at politics with a general amusement.  When I was younger, I had aspirations of going into politics.  The rose colored glasses came off early in my Marine Corps career when I saw politics at work in our military.  My opinion of politics and politicians changed even more once I started genuinely following the positions of our leaders.  Devout republicanism gave way to a more moderate viewpoint...G.W. Bush wasn't so great and Clinton wasn't so bad.

I sit tonight watching the second presidential debate and wonder if either candidate is fit to be the leader of the free world.  Both President Obama and Governor Romney are skirting issues, avoiding direct answers and slinging mud at each other.  They are both acting like the spoiled little kid that isn't getting his way.  There is no respect, no integrity.  While Regan wasn't perfect, where is the great orator now?  Where is the candidate that can tell you the country is going to make it and have you believe him?

I fear that those days are long gone. The smart, charismatic individuals of past political success wouldn't even go near Washington these days.

No comments: